Niederwallstraße 39, Berlin
Groß & Partner Grundstücksentwicklungsgesellschaft mbH
17th century / 1998-99
Gross Floor Area
Built in the 17th century by Johann Arnold Nering, the building served among other things as a Royal Court and as „Hausvogtei”, later became domicile to the Royal Bank „Königliche Giro- und Lehnbanco“ and in the aftermath served as the main bureau of the Royal Forestry Department. The Prussian Government moved-in past 1834 and in 1901 the Central Bank of Germany „Deutsche Reichsbank“. In 1998 the building was acquired by the Kingdom of Morocco. The rehabilitation of the restoration-needy and monument protected building took place in close collaboration with the monument conservation authorities. In the process of rehabilitation all windows were replaced and the facades received a rustic plaster appearance. The roof obtained a new covering and ten roof dormers, which were required for illumination purposes were aligned in accordance with the existing window axes. The staircase and the driveway regained their historic appearance. The interior area experienced some refinements too in order to enable an up-to-date utilization, such as: the restoration of the existing floor structures, an elevator mounting assembly, a complete renewal of the building services equipment and an enlargement of the attic floor.